Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Beauty of the Mind and the Church

I am constantly amazed at God enables us to think on such complex levels!

We could all live like the caricature Cave Man and be motivated only by our appetites. But God gives the believer in Christ a new mind so that he can think upon the things of God. Here are subjects that have positively plagued my palate in the past few years:

1. God causes and permits and controls all suffering, evil, affliction, trials, difficulties.

2. God constantly nuances truths throughout the Scriptures so that His people understand His complexity and do not fall into foolish, one-sided traps.

3. Thus, God also holds sinners responsible for all suffering, evil, affliction, trials, difficulties. I am going to give an account when I cause them and for how I respond to them. So I cannot simply sit idle when there is hardship.

4. God is very compassionate and confrontational, affectionate and aggressive, merciful and mighty, subtle and straightforward and so much more. The complexities of His character are so rich we will need forever to fathom His greatness.

5. We know very little of the Bible. When I speak and when I hear believers speak, I feel like we so confidently speak on matters we have spent so little time pondering. We are so quick to assume (including myself) we know what is going on without thoughtfully scanning an entire Biblical worldview on issues. I have found D.A. Carson most helpful in this regard. He has written many books appealing to the evangelical community for realism on almost every issue imaginable. And when he writes, I find myself surprised at how thoroughly he has thought through content, even able to criticize people who were previously untouchable (Piper, Grudem, etc.). I love it! His model makes me want to dig deeper and more frequently into the word!

6. The importance of the church. Lecrae has a song called The Bride and talks about how the church isn't perfect but is God's chosen means to be the light and the salt of the world, with all her imperfections and areas of sanctification. When I taught a study at Jefferson Street Baptist Center (a transitional house for homeless men), I constantly ran into the idea that "I can be a Christian" and not be an active member of a local church. As slow and sinful the church moves and is, I still love the church and want to be in deep fellowship with her. My heart is also constantly encouraged by all the solid family members I come across in our local church, Immanuel Baptist Church. Here's a few:

Nathan McBroom: he has taught our Sunday school class with passion and consistency and humor and a drive to really motivate us to be missional minded in everything. I also love how he applies the sermon content to his lesson each week, to make his words that much more synergestic.

Jim Rairick: always a thinker, in the line of Jonathan Edwards, in the line of the best missiological men, in the line of Biblical prophet with no fear of man.

Jack Riddle: adopting two babies from Ethiopia, working a job that would be difficult for me at the Bank of America, thinking through mission issues that sharpen my thoughts and always praying as if everything hangs in the balance, with a fiery gentleness. I love it!

Our Care Group: the Stubblefields have let us borrow their car twice, people making meals for us and everyone always extending warm welcomes and goodbyes. David Dawkins always has meaningful and warm words to spread. Praise God for fellowship!

Beth Ward: my wife! What a treasure! I always refer to her as golden. She wrote me a card this week and I immediately resounded with a smiliing, "Golden." All of her words are so sincere, God-saturated, pensive, introspective to a healthy degree, expansive and comprehensive and a delight to read. She has also exhibited much patience with our two children and frequently causes me to say, "Thank God for you Beth."

The Eatons: Joey and Michelle have constantly been eager to bless my family and serve our children and give us food and prayer and happiness. Joey is the greatest servant I know. I strive to serve with the joy that He gets from Christ.

Abigail McBroom: she has held Katelyn on two different occasions so that my hands were free to engage in meeting with believers. Thanks Abigail.

Justin Collins: he is faithful to shower encouragement on me, respect my perspective, share his life with me and is always willing to do some ministry task. The other day I asked him to drive to McDonalds to buy a meal for one of our neighbors. He did it easily with joy. Awesome!

Ryan Mudge: he is always sending me an e-mail with a link to divine, historical, rich content that spurs me on to love God and truth.

Samuel Miesse: great heart for prayer and people.

Moms: so many moms enduring the lack of sleep, nursing children, and serving their husbands.

Leadership: making sure the gospel is center in almost every public word and deed.

How exciting it is to be able to think and do so with the church!

No comments:

Post a Comment