Friday, August 28, 2009

Thoughts on Writing about Trials and Suffering

So, I have felt like I have written more on my book that ever before. I am really enjoying the process of going through Romans and seeing why God causes and permits trials and suffering. I also feel that I have found a format that works for me and will also permit me the ability to build on this work with research and real-like stories.


So, the structure is like this:


Text: I quote the text because so often the text is passed over or quickly referenced. But I really want people God's word and what He says on the issues of trial and suffering.

Truth: I haven't gotten super organized on this part. I just begin to expound upon the truths that I see coming from the text in regards to trials and suffering.

Tidbit: I put the truth in a simple morsel of a bite so that the reader has a sound byte for why God causes and permits trials and suffering. It's one sentence that is hopefully memorable.

Tradition: I want to know what the church throughout the ages has said on these issues. So if you come across content from men of old on the passage being discussed, let me know.

Takeaway: This section is to encourage the action and application of the previous components. God's word not put into action is unacceptable. We must respond to His truths!!!

Testimony: I want to hear from you all. How have these texts impacted your life, or the truth from them come into play in your situations? For example, when you were an unbeliever, or if you are one now and feel comfortable sharing with me, tell me how you felt wrath in your life for the wrong you were doing. That would give validity to the experientially-minded folk.

Test: This section is to encourage thought on how this truth would play out in a scenario.


If anyone wants to help in this process, I would love to receive it. I have been encouraged to see just how much truth there is in Romans in reference to trials and suffering, let alone all of Paul's letters, let alone all of the New Testament, let alone all of the Old Testament! Know that God is intentionally causing and permitting trials and suffering for many good and helpful and revealed! reasons. My hope is that any person in the world experiencing trials would be encouraged to trust God in the midst of difficulty, seeing that God is intimately involved in every situation of life.


Grace and peace,


Mike Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment